return to the this is Nottingham Bloggers home page

Saturday 19 July 2008

Can you unravel a hedge?

Well, I have just returned from the allotment with some raspberries and quite a big carrot in my knapsack.

Strictly speaking, the carrots aren't supposed to be ready yet, but after a quick taste test undertaken by myself and my rabbit, I can report that it is bright orange, extremely strong tasting and surprisingly juicy for a root vegetable and the rabbit can report...nothing, he's still chomping, which I assume is a ringing endorsement.

We will be leaving the carrots in the ground until we are ready to eat them. The soil will keep them safe for us until we want them, so there won't be a mad rush to devour them all at once.

The raspberries were plucked from the back hedge of the plot, which makes a very pleasant change to being thought odd for wandering along the river bank where my parents live, tuppaware container under arm, on a hunt for some ripe berries. I have yet to pick raspberries and not suffer some minor injuries though. I don't seem to be able to avoid the stinging nettles and brambles as I reach for the berries, but I think I've found a solution. Wear a long-sleeved top...

There are a few raspberries growing on the canes Jim planted back at Christmas time, but they aren't as doing as well as we'd hoped. Hopefully, they'll pick up next year when they're more established.

I spent a bit of time clearing more of the plot by the herb garden and it's tough going. The whole area is completely riddled with ivy and it's a complete nightmare to get out of the way. I also live in fear of unravelling the hedge when I start yanking at one of the strands. Previous occupants of the plot have kindly left us with all sorts of exciting paraphernalia to discover underneath the ivy - a mouldy old fleece jacket; jam jars; plastic containers that disintegrate as soon as I try to move them. I do wonder if I'll actually find something scary at some point.

0 comments: